Saturday, September 29, 2007

Beat the Sheriff 5k

Today was a great day for a run through the streets of historic Olde Towne Inverness! More specifically, a great day to run the 11th Annual Beat the Sheriff 5k race where nearly 200 people were registered to take on Jeff Dawsy!

The proceeds will go to Jessie's Place , a children's advocacy center that will be built in memory of 9-year-old Jessica Lunsford.

Well, the family stayed home for this one as I headed out the door at around 6:45 this morning to hit the starting line at 7:30. Lots of familiar faces and good friends showed up to run and to support the runners!

My goal today was to run this 5k in under 23 minutes. I just wanted to see 22: and I didn't care if it was 22:59! I felt pretty confident as I started my first mile and then I thought that maybe I was a little over-confident and started out too fast. As I ran by the 1st mile guy he shouted out 7:04. That was pretty cool, never heard that before at the 1st mile! But then I settled into a nice pace and calmed down a bit for the 2nd mile.

Good News--I set a new personal record for myself with a time of 22:55! Yippee!
Disappointing News--I was 2 seconds behind the one who placed 1st in my age group! (who does she think she is coming down here from Gainesville and messing up my Gold!?)
Overall, I was the 8th female out of 80. Not too bad for an old fart!

Check out the results here!!
PS - I beat the Sheriff, too!
Beat the Sheriff 5k Results!!

No comments:

Post a Comment