Saturday, August 18, 2007

Ovarian Cancer 5k

Today Dan and I ran the Ovarian Cancer 5k in Black Diamond, Lecanto.
http://www.ovariancancerflorida.org/

The sun hadn't even come up yet! We woke up at 5:30am, dragged the kids out of bed and headed out the door at 6:15 to travel 30 minutes to grab our stuff, warm up and start the race at about 7:45!
This is the quarry at Black Diamond which has been turned in to a golf course. The view throughout the run was breathtaking! The course is rated one of the greatest courses in the country! (not that I know anything about golf)

I completely enjoyed this course. The hills were unbelievable but occasionally it flattened out for a little break. The course started on a downhill slope which was a real treat but pretty soon it was up and down, up and down. I tried to pace myself better than I did at the Showdown(ugh!). It was a much better finish this time and my time was pretty much the same but I didn't crawl through the shoot this time. 3rd place in the old lady group(40-44)

Checking the results at www.citrusroadrunners.org/ I see that there were 212 runners! This was a huge event. There was another very large crowd that were registered walkers. Some walked the 5k and still others walked the 1-mile. My boys hung out with a friend during the race and strolled the 1-mile. Jaret insisted that he run the 5k but I knew the hills would probably do him in so I promised him that he can run the upcoming 5k in Brooksville in 2 weeks; a nice flat course that goes around a lake.This amazing little chick is Chloe. She was the first female to cross the finish with an insane time of 20:19! Not just first in her age group but first overall female!! She's awesome. Pictured with Chloe is Kerri Kitchen, the cross country coach from Seven Rivers Christian school(Chloe's coach) She's also one fast chick and I'm trying hard to catch up to her! This pic was taken at the Showdown in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment