Friday, August 10, 2007

To Whom it May Concern:

Well, I don't know if there's anyone out there interested in how I spend my free time!, but I'm going to post my tempo runs, hill workouts, fartleks, intervals, long runs and races...the good, bad and the ugly! And there's alot of ugly, especially in this 97 degree Forida heat and humidity!
I love to run. Can't get enough of it, it seems. I think it's my daughter's fault. She ran track in school and I secretly wished I could be out there on the track ,too, or at least be shot back to '82(via Uncle Rico's time machine) so I could do things a bit differently. I was always racing my friends and my brother as a kid and I usually kicked serious behind, but as I got older, my shyness and insecurities kept me from participating in sports for the most part. (regrets...I've had a few) But!! It's never too late to start, I always say! Actually, I never say that, but I think it applies here.
So, I decided a few years ago that I was going to start running and I thought I'd try to keep up with my husband on his runs. Big mistake. Dan had been running for years and I discovered quickly that running wasn't as easy as it looks! But, for those of you who know Dan, he makes everything look easy, doesn't he? (stinker)
Well, I've come a long way. After reading everything I could get my hands on about the subject, buying a good pair of running shoes(do NOT run in the $8.99 Walmart specials) and setting realistic goals over long periods of time, I think I can now, with confidence, call myself a runner. I'm convinced, however, that I still only know 10% of what is to be known about training, pacing, form, race preparation and eating healthy, but I have the rest of my life to figure it all out or at least until my legs give out!
So, join me in my quest to find the greatest 3 mile route, the best running shoe, the strength to get up at 6:30am every day, the perfect 5k race, a scrunchy that stands the test of time and the common sense to listen to my body when it's screaming "Take a day off!"

No comments:

Post a Comment