Saturday, August 11, 2007

'Twas a slow start...

I just want to encourage anyone who has ever started a beginner's running program and had a difficult time sticking with it. Any exercise program or workout routine is going to be a new challenge for your body! It takes some time, sometimes a long time to reach your goals! But the important thing is to set those goals and be realistic. I know that I got burned out pretty quick trying to keep up with Dan a few years back. It wasn't until I started paying close attention to what my body was telling me that I started to make progress.

A minute ago I was checking out my times back in June '05. I had been walking/running for a while by then and I was finally able to run a full 3 miles! It took me 30 minutes to run 3 miles, but I could do it! I enjoyed how running made me feel and I really enjoyed the results I got from running. It was the best workout I'd found after all my years of trying to stay fit.

Well, I soon decided that I wanted to run a 5k. Here I was, a grown woman with 5 kids, entertaining fantasies of winning races! My husband and my daughter had run a few races by then so I figured, why not? I went straight to Coolrunning.com for my 5k schedule. I set out to to stick to the 12 week schedule as much as possible(trying to keep up with life spinning around me) and I ended up 4th in my age group with a time of 25:06 for the 5k/3.1 miles. So, I was pleased that I didn't come in dead last and I was only one person away from the 3rd place medal! My most recent 5k time at this point is 22:14(7:24 pace) and over these 2 years I've enjoyed the thrill of gold, silver and bronze medals in my age group(yippee!!).

I say all that to say this! I started out in June '05 at a 10 minutes per mile pace and 3 months later I ran a 5k at an 8:04 pace! But that would have been impossible if I didn't make a plan and stick to it. I know for sure I will NOT be running a marathon this year. Or a half marathon for that matter! My goal right now is to finish well in a 10k(6.2 miles). This is a reasonable goal and one that I think I can reach--IF I take it slow and stick to it. It's just ridiculous to get upset with myself or discouraged because I can't do it tomorow(which I can't). I know that someday soon I will run that 10k and, God willing, I will run that marathon!

So, go for a run, enjoy God's creation along the way, give a thumbs up to all the runners, bikers and dog walkers that you see. You can't ask for a better way to start the day!

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Keep posting because I need the encouragement to get out there and do my runs.

    Don't forget to add the 2007 Lighthouse Run to your schedule.

    ReplyDelete